Below you will find links to a range of different organsations that are relevant to castings engineers, listed by topic area:
Apprenticeships and Careers
- One day in the life of an F1 engineer and mechanic: A 5 minute video on the Auto Channel on the a day with Toyota Panasonic engineer
- Apprentices and Skills TV: A series of short videos for young people and businesses on apprenticeships in engineering by the EEF.
- The Apprentice Opportunity: Guide for employers on apprenticeships - structure, content,costs, benefits etc. Select the employer option and then select 'apprentices'
- National Apprenticeship Service: Information and listings of all the UK apprenticeships on offer, The National Apprenticeship Service (NAS) supports, funds and co-ordinates the delivery of Apprenticeships throughout England.
- Tomorrows Engineers: Inspiring you to a career in Engineering
- Be an Apprentice: Information on what is an apprenticeship and where to start.
- Why Study Engineering: A look at just what engineers do, from roller coasters to cars, from computer chips to alternative energy sources - shows just why we need engineers. Fantastic!
- Discover Engineering: Careers website for young engineers - Gocracker - aimed at showcasing the best on-line resources and inspiring the engineers of tomorrow.
Castings Industry Information
Charities and trusts
Graduate recruitment and Student placements
- Semta Graduate Development Toolkit: Toolkit, with lots of user friendly information, sample letters and links, to help an employer take on a new graduate or student for an internship.
- CAEF: Umbrella organization of the European foundry industry, established in 1953, deals with economic, legal, and social issues.
Its membership includes the national foundry associations from 19 European countries
- WFO: The World Foundry Organization - represents the collective needs and beliefs of the principal representatives of foundry associations of member countries on a global scale.
- CMF: Cast Metals Federation – the Trade Association for the UK castings industry
- PMMMA: The Pattern, Model and Mould Manufacturers’ Association, PMMMA – The Trade Association for pattern and toolmakers.
- FESA: Foundry Equipment Supplies Association - trade association
- EICF: European Investment Casters Federation
- CEMAFON: the European Committee of Manufacturers of Materials and Products for Foundries
- China Foundry Association: China Foundry Association (CFA) is a national non-governmental organization approved by the State Council of P. R. China and registered with the Ministry of Civil Affairs of the Chinese government.
Jobs and Recruitment
- de Belder Associates Ltd: An established search & selection recruitment company specialising in all levels of personnel for the global foundry and metals industries.
- Foundry Trade Journal: Recruitment advertising for the foundry and related industries.
Journals and Industry Publications
- Castings Buyer: Promoting the use of cast components, Castings Buyer is specifically targeted at end users and customers to the foundry industry.
- Foundry Trade Journal: ICME's own publication, free to members, available to subscribers
Living history of the industry
- Ironbridge Gorge Museum: 10 museums near Telford celebrating the birth of industry. The museum also has research library.
Regulation of the engineering industry
- EEF: EEF represents the interests of manufacturing at all levels of government.
- Engineering UK: Engineering UK aim is "to promote the vital contribution that scientists, engineers and technologists make to prosperity and quality of life"
- Engineering Council: The Engineering Council is the regulatory body for the engineering profession in the UK, setting the standard and holding the national registers of 235,000 Chartered Engineers (CEng), Incorporated Engineers (IEng), Engineering Technicians (EngTech) and Information and Communications Technology Technicians (ICTTech).
- EPSRC: Searchable database of all UK Government Funded Research programmes (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council)
Safety, Health and the Environment
- SHIFT: The Safety & Health in Foundries Targets initiative (SHIFT), dedicated to reducing accident and ill-health rates amongst foundry workers - free advise and support for foundries.
- HSE: Health and Safety Executive
Training, education and careers
- University of Birmingham: leading UK teaching and research university for the castings industry, contact Dr Bill (W D) Griffiths, FICME, for more information, Email: email@example.com
- Bradford College: provider of courses relevant to the castings industry
- Imperial College London: One of the leading UK teaching and research university for the castings industry.
- UKCME: UK Centre for Materials Education, exists to support and promote high quality education in Materials and related disciplines. Based at the University of Liverpool.
- UCAS: The full list of courses available in all subject areas, from HNC to Degrees courses
- IOM3: The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
- A guide to registration as a Technician: How to gain professional recognition for your work and experience as a technician in the industry
- A guide to CEng Registration: Chartered Engineers - not just for graduates - information on benefits to you and your employer
- The Birmingham Metallurgical Association: The Birmingham Metallurgical Association is an affiliated society of the Institute of Materials and organises regular technical lectures.
- A guide to IEng Registration: Incorporated Engineers play a vital role in maintaining and managing applications of technology, carrying out design work and technical management - find out more here
- Institute of Metal Finishing: The IMF covers all aspects of materials surface engineering including plating, PVD coating, chemical etching, paint and powder coating, pre-treatment and post treatment processes.
- Tomorrow's Engineers: Careers information about engineering, resources and useful contacts. Encouraging youg people to consider a career in enginering.
- Casting Skills Centre: Part of Castings Technology International - offers technical support, training, research and consultancy