Presidential Chain of Office
for the Stoke on Trent Section
John Lee of Broxap Ltd, Section President in 1980, who went on to become Lancashire Branch President in 1986 and National President in 1996, donating the Section Presidential chain of office from ICME to the Stoke on Trent Etruria Industrial Museum', the last steam-powered potters' mill in Britain. The mill is 'in steam' seven times a year when the 1903 boiler is fired and historic machinery can be seen working by visitors
The President's Chain of Office Medalion is a scale reduced copy of the National President's (as are all the other Branch and Section Medalions) and was manufactured by Toye, Kenning & Spencer Ltd of the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham, who have been creating regalia since 1685.
The Stoke on Trent Section was formed in October 1955. The section monthly meetings were held in the Stipendiary Court in Hanley Town Hall where the invited speakers were often to be found delivering their lecture from "The Dock". Subsequent meeting locations were the Grand Hotel, Hanley and finaly the Rose & Crown, Etruria.
The Section continued to thrive until the 1980s when the demise of the foundry industry caused many local foundries to close; in the early 1960s there were in excess of 35 foundries in the North Staffordshire / South Cheshire area, by the time Section closed in 1995 only five remained.
Former section and branch presidents, together with the current Lancashire Branch President, Steve Vance, and ICME's Pam Murrell, were treated to a tour of the museum which was chosen to be the recipient of the medalion since many of the parts used at the works were cast in the local foundries. Guests then enjoyed tea and cakes with museum staff.