Please find below the latest Businesses and Employers bulletin from BEIS:
The UK has left the EU, and the Brexit transition period comes to an end this year. Take action now to get ready for new rules from January 2021. This bulletin is issued by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and provides the latest information for businesses. All information on the UK Transition can be found at www.gov.uk/transition
- Providing Services and Travelling for Business to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein
- Trade agreements
- Importing and Exporting
- Sector Specific Guidance
Providing Services and Travelling for Business to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein
Country specific guidance on providing services and travelling for businesses from 1 January 2021 has been updated for the following countries:
The UK has signed the UK-North Macedonia agreement, for information on this and existing UK trade agreements with non-EU countries, click here.
Importing and Exporting
New – EU businesses: taxes and tariffs: Guidance has been issued covering what taxes and tariffs EU businesses might need to pay when trading with the UK from 1 January 2021. For more information, click here.
New – EU businesses exporting to the UK: Guidance has been issued for EU businesses to find out what they need to do to export to the UK from 1 January 2021. For more information, click here.
New – EU businesses importing from the UK: Guidance has been issued for EU businesses to inform them of what they need to do to import from the UK from 1 January 2021. For more information, click here.
Updated – The Trader Support Service (TSS): You can continue to sign up to TSS if you move goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland. For more information, and to sign up, click here.
Updated – Check when you can account for import VAT on your VAT return: Guidance for VAT registered business has been updated with information on Non-established taxable persons and guidance on how to complete your declaration if you are accounting for import VAT on your VAT return. For more information, click here.
Updated – Kent traffic management on M20 motorway to Dover and Eurotunnel: Guidance has been updated to include further detail about Operation Brock – the traffic management system designed to keep Kent’s roads open in the event of disruption at the Port of Dover and Eurotunnel. For more information, click here.
New – UK-Japan CEPA: Data protection: Information about data protection in the UK-Japan CEPA is available here.
Sector Specific Guidance
New – EU businesses providing services to the UK: Guidance has been issued for EU businesses to find out what they need to know about providing services in the UK from 1 January 2021. For more information, click here.
Updated – Guidance for UK businesses providing services to Ireland from 1 January 2021: Guidance has been updated for UK businesses on rules for trading in services with Ireland from 1 January 2021 to include information on the recognition of professional qualifications. For more information, click here.
Updated – Selling services to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein from 1 January 2021: Guidance for UK businesses offering services from 1 January 2021 has been updated with guidance for social security payments for employees. For more information, click here.
Data and Intellectual Property
New – Data protection and copyright for EU businesses: Guidance has been issued for EU businesses to inform them of what they need to do with data protection, intellectual property and copyright in the UK from 1 January 2021. For more information, click here.
Updated – EU trademark protection and comparable UK trade marks from 1 January 2021: Guidance for businesses and organisations holding EU trade marks at the end of the Transition Period has been updated to replace the section on pending cancellation actions. For more information, click here.
New – Designated standards: Information has been issued for businesses about designated standards at the end of the Transition Period. For more information, click here.
Updated – Letter to the chemical’s sector: The Business Secretary’s letter to the chemicals sector has been updated to reflect that chemicals regulatory obligations affect both new chemicals and existing chemicals already on the market. To view this in full, click here.
Webinars and Podcasts
You can keep up to date by attending live webinars to help prepare your business. You can also access sector-specific webinars about how to prepare your business here.
- HMRC customs declarations webinars: HMRC have launched multiple editions of this live webinar covering how to complete customs import declarations and explaining how to make import declarations when importing goods between the EU and Great Britain. Find a date and to register, click here.
- UK Transition Period: HSE and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) will be hosting two webinars on Wednesday 16 December and Wednesday 20 December, both at 10am. These events cover actions businesses need to take in preparation for the end UK Transition on 1 January 2021 when independent GB chemical regimes will be in place. To register, and for more information, click here.
- Department for International Trade webinars: DIT are hosting a series of webinars primarily aimed at businesses which are UK based who importing and exporting goods. To register for the next webinar on 3 December at 10:30 am, click here. Further sessions are scheduled to be held on 10 December and 17 December.
- Department for International Trade are hosting a webinar series for EU-based organisations that trade with the EU. Upcoming webinars on 9 December, 10 December and 15 December will cover GB-EU Border Formalities. Click here for more information and to register.
Trading with the EU: A video series has been released that explains what businesses need to do to be ready for 1 January 2021. These videos cover what businesses need to know about exports and imports, customs, commodity codes and controlled goods. To view the videos, click here.
For trade policy related queries DIT have set up an enquiry line please use the link below to access: